Sunday, June 26, 2011

now I said that "Dynamite" by Taio Cruz reminded me of "Day-o me say day-ay-ay-o" as in "Daylight come and me wanna go home" as in Harry Belafonte "The Banana Boat Song"

well fuck me but someone's actually made a NOW!-dance song based around "the Banana Boat Song"



i say NOW!-dance but of course the other big lift this tune is based on is the delicious frisky keyboard lick from Robin S's Nineties house classic "Show Me Love"(which fits the "party like it's 1994" vibe of LFMAO's "Party Rock Shuffle" in the previous post)

so that's 1993 meets 1957

(actually, even earlier - 1990 for the very first version of "Show Me Love" and there's various pre-Belafonte versions of "Banana Boat" going back to the early 1950s)

of Jason Derulo's "Don't Wanna Go Home", PopCrush blog notes , "Virtually nothing about the song is original"